Sunday, August 2, 2009

Europe & UK Tour - France

France was my last destination from Contiki tour. This was the place that I resumed with my own journey while my uncle followed the tour back to London where he spent a couple of days visiting the British muzeum with his friend.
Paris
The Paris city scape from the highest section of Eiffel Tower.

The tour to France was incomplete without a visit to the Eiffel Tower. The view during the night and day were completely different. My preference goes to the night view whereby I could see the entire structures brightened up by spotlights. This completed my fourth wonder of the world after Great wall, Stone Henge and Colloseum.

Arch De Triomphe stand tall at 50m. It was built to honor those who fought for France during the Napoleonic War and the heart of Paris whereby many main roads meet. My tour guide told me that car accident occur in every 12 minutes. How crazy....

I had watched 'Hunchback of Notredamme' animated movie many years back and this cathedral caught my attention as my next place of visit. The stained glasses were beautifully decorated creating a very peacefull atmosphere just like many other large cathedral in Europe. I was lucky to witness the function carried out by the priest.

Many grotesque form creatures, half-man, monster or half beast can be seen at the top of the cathedral. They were called gargoyles which means in Latin word, as drain. These gargoyles were actually drain-pipes. Superstition say these gargoyles will ward off evil spirit.

Function held in the cathedral. By size ratio, you can see how big the cathedral is.

Colourful stain glasses and chandelier beautifully decorated in Notre Damme.

The Louvre - biggest museum in France. Anyone watched the Da Vinci Code casted by Tom Hank? Wondering whether it is true that Mary Magdelene tomb was buried below this inverted pyramid or just a fiction?
This place is truely vast with so many sections. I think it will take days to see and learn in this museum. As I had to catch the night bus to Belgium, I can only afford to spend a couple of hours and selectively visited those important sights.


Views around the Louvre....
The Louve consist of eight sections featuring Egyptian Collections; Near Eastern Antiquities; Greek, Etruscan, and Roman Antiques ; Islamic Art; Sculpture; Decorative Arts; Paintings; and Prints and Drawings.
The above sculpture was carved by Michaelangelo - The Dying Slave which expresses the struggle for freedom of the soul.
Antonio Canova's statue - Psyche Revived by Cupid's Kiss. How lovely....
Venus De Milo is a marble statue of the Greek goddess, Aphrodite or the Roman goddess of love. It is widely renowned for her mystery missing arm.

The infamous 'Mona Lisa' painting by Leonardo Da Vinci is also displayed in this museum.

No comments:

Post a Comment