Monday, September 7, 2009

Rainbow Fish

Most of my tropical aquatic fishes have been with me for about two years since I moved into my condo. My all time favorites are the rainbows and clown loach.
Aquarium-Fish My 4 ft length aquarium can accommodate for 16 gracious fishes of mine. I provide them with natural surrounding which consist of fresh aquatic plants, driftwoods, stones and sands.

I have a couple of Rainbow fish species. These fishes originated in Australia or Papua New Guinea. Rainbow fish easily became my favorite mainly on its vibrant colour and easily adaptable to other non-aggressive fish.
Rainbow-Fish
Rainbow Fishes

The growth rate of this fish is quite slow which can live about 5 years depending on species. Most of the aquarium shops sell this fish when they are young. The young fish is dull like in colour but once it mature, it's like an ugly duckling transform into a beautiful swan. This could be the reason why these young fish are easily skipped and are scarce among aquarist.

Keeping a few yellow rainbows scientifically known as Melanotaenia boesemani, blue and red rainbows easily turn my entire fish tank into a lively colourful atmosphere. Most of them were bought from a big fish shop in Sungai Buloh, Selangor, selling freshwater and saltwater fishes.

Boesemani-Rainbow-Fish

Boesemani Rainbow Fish

Boesemani Rainbow fish is quite commonly seen in many fish shops. Like many rainbow fishes, the male ones are more vivid in colour. The first half of its body is dark blue and the second half is yellow. Female rainbow is less vibrant and greenish in colour.

Red-Rainbow-Fish
Red Rainbow Fish

Blue-Rainbow-Fish

Blue Rainbow Fish

The other two rainbows that I have are the red and blue ones. Surprisingly the red rainbow growth rate is faster and is the largest among all my rainbow fishes. The blue one seems to stop growing. Perhaps, this is the mature size in captivity.

Clown-Fish-1 Clown Loach

Another favorite of mine is the clown fish scientifically known as Chromobotia macracanthus. This happy fish get its name mainly due to its weird attitudes and sleeping behavior. There was once when I thought this fish was dead as its body lying flat at one corner of my aquarium but once I approach the aquarium, it quickly switches to life position….. What an intriguing clown like act…..

Clown-Loach-2 Hey!Stop sniffing my butt...


Clown-Loach-2Happy-happy impatiently swimming in front of my aquarium every morning for food.

Clown Loaches are very lovable and like to move and sleep in pair especially inside the driftwood holes. They are nocturnal fish and are bottom feeder.

My other fishes are the silver dollar, black widow tetra and corridoras catfish.

Black-Widow-Tetra A pair of my black widow tetra. One with long fin and the other one with short fin.

Silver-dollar-fish

Silver Dollar

I noticed that mt fishes are very shy on camera and it takes a lot of patient to take some good shots on them. I came to love this hobby when I was small. It gave me a peace of mind by looking at these playful fishes gracefully swimming and chasing each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment